Wednesday 27th July was Scotch Whisky Day - and with an abundance of centuries-old distilleries nearby - there's never been a better time to visit us at Dunblane and drink your fill of the 'water of life'!
Celebrate this momentous day by lifting your glass to Scotland's national drink and sampling some high-quality Scottish whiskies hailing from the surrounding area. Take a tour of these iconic distilleries and take home a bottle or two to savour; it'll be the best souvenir you'll ever buy on holiday!
Deanston Distillery was built in 1785 as a cotton mill and a flourishing town grew into being around it. When the Deanston Mill closed in 1965, it was reborn as Deanston Distillery in 1967. The mill’s location on the banks of the River Teith made it the perfect spot for a distillery, and the cool temperatures of the weaving shed were ideal for maturation of their single malt Scotch whisky.
Distillery tours take place every day from 10am to 4pm, on the hour, every hour. There are several tour options available, including:
- Deanston Tour (£9) – learn about the history of the distillery via a guided tour. Includes a tasting of Deanston 12-year-old single malt.
- Deanston Classic Tour (£12) – enjoy a guided tour of the open mash tun and maturation warehouses, with their vaulted brick ceilings. Sample a dram of Deanston 12-year-old and Deanston Virgin Oak in the tasting room.
- Deanston Tasting Room Tour (£20) – learn all about the history of the distillery and get an up-close look at how their award-winning whisky is made. Finish with a Deanston tasting room experience, where you’ll try three types of single malt whisky.
- Deanston Heritage Tour (£35) – this extended tour takes you through the distillery and the historic ‘workers’ village on the banks of the river. Afterwards sample a tipple or three with a Deanston tasting room experience.
- Deanston Whisky & Chocolate Tours (£23 & £25) – this unique tour pairs some Deanston drams with chocolate lovingly created by Highland Chocolatier, Iain Burnett. Enjoy three or four whisky tastings and chocolates after a guided tour of the distillery.
All tours include a £5 voucher towards the purchase of a bottle of Deanston 70cl single malt in the distillery shop.
Location: Deanston Distillery, near Doune, Perthshire, FK16 6AG (15 minutes' drive from the hotel).
Glengoyne Whisky Distillery
Glengoyne Distillery has humble beginnings; George Connel began distilling in secret at Burnfoot Farm in 1820 – the hidden waterfall and its miniature glen made it the perfect secret distillery. Glengoyne continued to create whisky from that day, and due to increased demand, the distillery was re-built in 1966 into its present form, tripling production annually.
There are a variety of distillery tours, including:
- Glengoyne Tour (£9) – enjoy a welcome tasting of Glengoyne 12-year-old and then learn the secrets of how the spirit is made on a guided tour of the distillery.
- Wee Tasting Tour (£12) – sample a welcome dram of 12-year-old, a guided tour of the distillery and a taste of Glengoyne 18-year-old afterwards.
- Gold Medal Parade (£25) – enjoy a tasting experience and guided tour, where you’ll sample three of their gold-medal winners. Guests receive a complimentary Glengoyne glass.
- Malt Master Tour (£60) - this tour offers an in-depth historical and practical tour of the distillery, with tastings included. What makes this tour special? You get to create your very own single malt in the Sample Room, which will be presented to you in a 200ml Glengoyne bottle alongside a record of your recipe.
- No.1 Warehouse Tour (£80) – get behind the hallowed gates of Warehouse No.1 and plunge your dipping dug into two casks. Taste them, swirl them, smell them – and then take your favourite home in a 200ml Glengoyne bottle.
- The Masterclass (£150) – this extensive tour includes an in-depth tour of the distillery, five tastings of whiskies and sherries, smell and taste tests and the chance to create your own single malt which will be presented to you in a 200ml bottle with a Masterclass certificate.
Location: Glengoyne Distillery, Drumgoyne, Glasgow, G63 9LB (45 minutes' drive from the hotel).
Glenturret Distillery, home of The Famous Grouse, has been hand-making whisky since 1775. Water for the distillery is still drawn from the cool waters of Turret Burn and the unique artisan distillery process is still used to create The Glenturret single malt.
Visit Glenturret and enjoy The Famous Grouse Experience, voted one of the best visitor attractions in Scotland.
- Distillery Experience (£10) – a tour of Scotland’s oldest working distillery with two whisky tastings.
- Tasting experience (£20) – learn all about the traditional methods of producing The Glenturret Highland single malt and sample five of their iconic whiskies. Includes a souvenir nosing glass to take home with you.
- Warehouse Experience (£40) – tour the bonded warehouse and enjoy a guided nosing and tasting session in the sample room. Try four premium whiskies from the Glenturret range.
- Blending Experience (£60) – after an in-depth tour of the distillery, followed by a guided nosing and tasting session, try your hand at blending your very own whisky. Take part in the Malt Challenge and sample four premium malts. Take home your blend in a 100ml bottle.
- Stillman Experience (£250) – spend the morning with their head stillman and witness first-hand all aspects of the whisky production process, from milling the grains to laying casks. Follow this with lunch in the café, a blending guide performed by an expert drammolier and finish with blending your very own personalised Glenturret recipe.
Location: Glenturret Distillery, The Hosh, Crieff, PH7 4HA (30 minutes' drive from the hotel)
DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro is situated under an hour's drive from these three historic distilleries. A distillery tour and tasting is the perfect way to spend a day out in Scotland, so make sure you fit one into your itinerary when you're staying at the hotel!
Afterwards, why not return to a hearty, Scottish-inspired meal at our signature restaurant, The Kailyard by Nick Nairn? We've got a range of delicious dishes made with local produce, including scrabster halibut, Loch Etive sea trout and 28-day dry-aged Scotch sirloin steak. Finish off your evening with even more whisky in our bars and lounges, overlooking the peaceful Perthshire countryside.