Call us biased, but here at the DoubleTree By Hilton Dunblane Hydro we believe there’s no such thing as a dull and boring drive through Scotland. We’re lucky to play host to some of the most breathtaking scenery in the whole of the UK and there’s almost always a new surprise at every turn.
That being said, we do of course have our own personal favourites and a few choice highlights we always recommend to our guests. And for those who already know the Perthshire Tourist Route, chances are you’ll know why it tops our list of recommendations each and every time!
The Perthshire Tourist Route
If there was ever a reason to bring the car along to Dunblane or perhaps even hire a car for the day, the Perthshire Tourist Route is it. Stretching for approximately 45 miles (and another 45 back again), it’d be quite the epic task to cycle your way from beginning to end and walking is of course out of the question. Instead, it’s a case of loading the car with a few supplies, timing it right with the weather and heading off for one of the few drives you’ll actually wish could last forever!
The route kicks off just to the north of Dunblane and then takes you close to Pitlochry to a little town called Ballinluig. An undeniably more enjoyable way of getting around than taking the A9, the Perthshire Tourist Route is a tale of non-stop scenery on an epic scale along with a thousand and one hidden gems and secrets you’ll want to stop off and take a closer look at en-route.
Things get a little more rugged as you head into the the Sma' Glen, after which you’ll make your way to the popular resort of Aberfeldy. Your journey comes to an end where the A9 heads into Pitlochry, after which you have the choice of taking the main road home, or enjoying the whole thing again in reverse!
Sights and Attractions
If you’ve time to make a few stop-offs along the way or perhaps have a couple of days to explore things a little deeper, the Perthshire Tourist Route is just a stone’s throw from some of the region’s most incredible and important sights and attractions.
Just a few examples include:
- Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park – Scotland’s premier safari park and wildlife centre is the only place in the county you’ll get to see giraffes and elephants.
- Briarland’s Farm – A family favourite to say the very least, this working farm is an absolute joy for kids and hosts countless events throughout the summer.
- Doune Castle – A strikingly beautiful castle located just 3 miles from the Perthshire Tourist Route.
- The National Wallace Monument – Quite simply, you cannot visit the area without taking to time to check out this iconic monument!
- Stirling Castle – And of course, what trip to Stirling would be complete without a visit to the castle itself?
Classic Car Hire
Of course your own car will do the job just fine, but to really make the most of your journey, we highly recommend hiring a classic car. We can help kit you out with anything from an E-Type Jaguar Coupe to a Triumph Stag or even a VW Camper van – anything it takes to guarantee you and your group the experience of a lifetime.
We’d be delighted to advise and assist you with organising the trips and excursions you’d like to take during your visit. For more information or to make a booking, give the DoubleTree By Hilton Dunblane Hydro team a call today on 01786 822551.